Skip to main content

Charles County Garden Club Collection, 1938-1997

 File
Identifier: MS-00001

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of 9 Club scrapbooks and some pamphlets spanning 1938 to 1997. The scrapbooks are filled with mixed materials that include newspaper clippings, photographs of members, arrangements, projects, and events, flower show ephemera and awards, annual reports, Club directories and calendars, correspondence, meeting ephemera and event fliers and programs. The Charles County Fair flower exhibits, annual Flower Show, Smallwood's Retreat, Charles County Tercentenary, Maryland House & Garden Pilgrimage, and Christmas in the Charles County Seat feature prominently. There are also scattered obituaries for former Club members throughout the scrapbooks.

Dates

  • 1938-1997

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The Charles County Garden club was founded in November 1938 with two goals:

"To cultivate the spirit of good gardening in its broadest sense and to engage in civic and horticultural improvements throughout the County."
The first meeting was held at the home of Captain and Mrs. George Gering in Indianhead, Maryland, and they named Mrs. Frank J. Fletcher as President and Mr. Charles Stephenson as Vice-President. It was set up on the unit system with a maximum of 25 members per unit, and a set number of joint meetings within a year. In 1941, the Club became a part of the Federated Garden Clubs of Maryland.

In 1943, on account of the difficulty of transportation and securing of gas, etc., the Club was disbanded until June 1947 when it was reorganized and club members abandoned the unit system. Several new committees were added in 1949 by Mrs. Frank A. Bolton, President 1949-1951: Historical, Good Cheer, Membership, Civic Projects, and Properties. The historical scrapbooks were also started in 1949.

With the exception of the war years, the Club sponsored annual Spring Flower Shows and supervised the flower exhibits at the Charles County Fair. They have also undertaken multiple Charles County beautification projects such as memorial tree plantings, preservation of natural landmarks like the 300 year old Southern Red Oak in Newburg, Maryland, assisting the beautification committees of the Charles County Commissioners, and establishing the arboretum at what is now the College of Southern Maryland. They sponsored the Maryland House & Garden Pilgrimage, designed, planned, and maintain the herb garden at Smallwood's Retreat, and helped establish a Garden Therapy Committee fpr the Women's Reformatory in Jessup to enable inmated to experience the joys of gardening.

Extent

4 Linear Feet

Overview

Through the years, the Charles County Garden Club has dedicated itself and its members to the maintenance of the traditions and standard of gardening and good citizenship. They have sponsored numerous civic and horticultural projects, from the preservation of a 300 year old tree to flower shows. The collection consists of 9 Club scrapbooks and some pamphlets. The scrapbooks are filled with mixed materials that include newspaper clippings, photographs, flower show ephemera and awards, annual reports, Club directories, correspondence, and event information.

Creator

Title
Charles County Garden Club Collection, 1938-1997
Status
In Progress
Author
Danielle L. Heaney
Date
April 22, 2015
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Southern Maryland Studies Center Repository

Contact:
8730 Mitchell Rd
PO Box 910
La Plata Maryland 20646-0910 United States
301-934-7606